Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Phones were put on earth for a reason

I drop my kid at her preschool classroom and run down the hallway.  I have to train some people do some stuff so they know what to do.  I'm almost there and I here a woman's voice barely eek out my name.  I stop, turn around and see that she is not having the best of mornings.  This woman is lanky, needs her hair tamed, bug eyed, maybe 45 and I may or may not recognize her.  She begins, "I do not think I can make it to the meeting this morning".  Then she acts as if she were a mime and rubs her stomach but her hand never actually comes in contact with her own stomach.  Great! Perfect!  Stomach flu!  Just what my whole family needs.  I can't help but picture my kids barfing all over everything in my house.  I'm already sick- I feel it.  BACK UP LADY!
Her eyes start welling up.  I'm thinking no, No, NO!  Don't you dare cry on me.  Please for the love of god.  She steps in a little closer and I hold my breath for as long as I can and then take very tiny inhales hoping this will shield me from the disease.  She proceeds, "I had a miscarriage."  Holy shit!  I wasn't expecting this at all.  I mean I don't even know who this woman is.  Why is she confiding in me?  I find myself wrapping my arms around her and then she just lets go of all composure and breaks down.  I suck at these moments.  The moments where you have to console and nothing you can say will mend the terror they are feeling.  If there is nothing I can say to make this person feel better then why try.  I'm stuck, trapped and speechless.  She starts apologizing for having to miss the meeting.  She's telling herself that it's going to be okay.  Wait!  I'm supposed to be telling her these things.  I fake tell her that I'm sorry and of course she does not have to attend the meeting.  She keeps apologizing.  She wipes her last tears on my shoulder and walks away.  She pushes the door open and she mouths "I'm sorry".
I'm baffled.  This lady could have have called the office and told them she was sick.  She could have sat at home with her husband or sister or teddy bear or whoever.  Instead she stumbles into school disheveled and crazed, looking for someone.  For some unholy reason she chose me - I'm sure she'll never try and pull that stunt again.

No comments:

Post a Comment